I Feel Kinda Bad About Making Fun of Carman
At about 9 a.m., Friday, Feb. 15, Cribsy posted on this very blog my post about how terrible Mumford and Sons are, in which I stated that they sound like a Christian band.
Incidentally, I alluded to the ultra-famous Christian performer, Carman.
Unbeknownst to me, at 1:10 a.m., Thursday, Feb. 14, Carman announced on his Facebook fan page that he has myeloma, an incurable strain of cancer. According to him, he has three to four years to live. (The post, FYI, had more than 17,000 “Shares,” 15,000 “Likes” and 7,000 comments … some of them awkwardly worded prayers).
Clearly, I had no idea of Carman’s diagnosis. I’d written the post several days before and even upon submitted it to the Cribmeister, I was ignorant of his current misfortune. Even if you read the post, Carman’s inclusion is purely incidental. I’m not making fun of him (more so his fans), and I could’ve used DC Talk or Sandy Patti.
I felt bad although I knew the coincidence of his announcement and my post had nothing to do with having cancer.
But before I go any further, please note that my thoughts from this point onward have nothing to do with Carman’s beliefs nor am I advocating him or anyone else getting cancer. I’m anti-cancer.
Upon exploring Carman’s Facebook page, I realized that I feel substantially less guilty about my coincidental post and his unfortunate news.
Things you will find on Carman’s Facebook fan page, posted by Carman or someone in Carman’s camp:
- Multiple vanity shots of Carman in mirror taking photos of himself with smart phone.
- The photo accompanying his cancer post is Carman looking into the camera pensively rubbing his neck. Posed, studio shot.
- An ad for his new album – Anthems of a Champion – that states, “Carman: Christian Icon.”
- Pictures of his cats. (One named Pops with a Photoshopped birthday hat and cake. It was the Pop’s birthday. I’ve also taken the liberty of including his FULL caption, written in CATonese!)
- Performance videos.
- Pictures of ironic Christian T-shirts.
- Photos of Barack Obama, clearly doctored with, exaggerated ears, bucked teeth and … an enlarged nose with very wide, upright nostrils.
- Photo of (presumably) his mother walking down a tunnel into a bright light. She is still alive.
- More cats.
- Picture of Carman sitting on a couched, in shorts, from a vantage point to where we can almost see his testicles.
You can draw your own conclusions. You don’t have to take my word for it.
I will take the high road and wish Carman a full life … with his cats.